Monday, September 28, 2009

Hey y'all. This post is going to be a bit short, because I'm absolutely exhausted from class, but I wanted to give you a quick update. I'm in the middle of my Fundamentals class, where we learn basic technique and line work. Basically, it means that we practice our knife cuts, cooking procedures, and speed, all while creating meals for the dining room. It's a pretty intense class, but I really like it. I was chef of the day the other day, which means I get to basically run the kitchen, and that was really interesting, and the chef complimented me. (: He asked me if I did any culinary classes in high school, and was impressed when I said I hadn't, so I felt pretty good about myself.

Get this. For our final lab practical exam we have to make a perfect omelette (French, NOT American, there's a big difference), over easy eggs, tournet a potato, and julienne, brunoise and batonnet a carrot. If you don't know what those are, please look them up, because they're too hard to explain. They are "simple" knife cuts though. "Simple" is in quotations beacause they are actually a huge pain. They have to be perfectly symmetrical and even. Therefore, very frustrating. So, I've cooked about 15 omelettes so far at home (my friends have eaten a LOT of eggs) and I plan on working on my knife cuts and over easy eggs this week, before my final on Thursday.

This post is winding up to be longer than I thought. I wanted to give you a little description of the main people I've been hanging out with here. Probably my two best friends here are Marina and Jess. Marina is one of my roommates. We share both a room and a love for musical theater, which is awesome. We had a huge dance party the other day to Thoroughly Modern Millie and she has a Hairspray poster which makes me really happy. She's from Maryland and is a Baking and Pastry student. My other really good friend is Jess. She's from New Jersey and is a Yankees fan...which causes some contention but we deal with it. She's also in Baking and Pastry, but we have class at the same time and get out at the same time so we hang out a lot, go to the beach, go shopping, etc. She's a lot of fun and a really really good friend. She's not my roommate but she's basically always over. Some of my other close friends are Mike from Tampa who I met at orientation, Zenia one of my other roommates, Gisell who lives next door, etc. I'm meeting a lot of really great people.

I'll give some more updates soon hopefully! This week will be pretty stressful, but hopefully really great. Au Revoir!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Elizabeth...sounds like a lot to learn in one week...doesn't surprise me that you received "compliments from the chef"

    ReplyDelete