Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Time means nothing.

Sorry for not posting in a few days, this week has been pretty crazy. I had a huge paper/project due yesterday that I literally sat and worked on for 4 hours without taking a break. I felt like a real student and was actually really proud that I was able to motivate myself to work so hard without procrastinating. Tomorrow I have a test that I'm actually excited for? We have to identify about 200 items in the kitchen ranging from fenugreek to lotus root. My job at Stop and Shop might come in handy for this one. I'm kind of looking at it like a Top Chef challenge, and think I'll do really well. Purchasing and Product ID ends on Monday, then I actually get to start cooking. Yay!


Don't get me wrong, I'm having an unbelievable time here. Meeting lots of different people, working hard, etc. Except I have to say that there are a few things I've learned I HATE about Florida. For instance:


1) The humidity. I always feel like I'm covered in a thin layer of water. The weather's beautiful for the most part, but testy and always humid, always.

2) The drivers. They're crazy! I swear people in Florida don't know how to drive correctly.

3) The speeeed. Every salesperson, and person in general, is so slow and methodical about everything. Coming from MA, I know how to move quickly! Yet everyone down here moves like molasses...except when they're driving.


These things clearly bother me, but the awesome things about Florida cancel them out. For instance, besides the obvious:


1) JAMBA JUICE. I swear I could live on it. Pure delicious smoothies that we just don't have up north.

2) The clear WARM water. I went to the beach for about an hour and a half today, and the water was like bathwater. Nothing like the frigid rocky seas of Cape Cod. I love the Cape with a passion, but if we could switch out its ocean water and sand for what we have down here, that'd be awesome.

3) The speeeeed. I know I said I hated this. Yet, it's actually kind of nice sometimes, especially with salespeople. They call me "Miss Kelly" and give me friendly smiles. If I'm in a rush it's just annoying, but sometimes I like it, it makes me feel respected.


I really have to go to bed now because of my awesome test in the morning! I promise I'll write more though. There's so much to say! Bon nuit!

1 comment:

  1. Liz:

    Enjoyed what you wrote......Did you know that Floridians say that the reason their drivers are so bad is because they are all transplants from New York and Boston???

    The sales people, etc are slow because they have learned to stop and smell the flowers which obviously are more abundant in Florida.

    You are right about the beaches and warm water. It is so enjoyable to go for a swim without getting frostbite!!!

    Can't wait for you to start cooking too as I look forward to some hints...

    Love
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete