Monday, September 7, 2009

What could make me feel this way?

So is it ironic that today is Labor Day, and they woke us up at 7AM to make us do involuntary service projects? Labor on Labor Day doesn't seem right to me....but oh well.

Apparently we were all required to do various service projects today. This morning we signed up for where we wanted to go, then each proceeded with our fellow servers to our service sites. I decided to work at an assisted living home, because I really like hanging out with older people, it was air conditioned, and I didn't have to clean up trash.

When we got there we had to sit around and wait for a wicked long time until all the residents woke up and the activities director got there. The whole project wasn't really planned well...it involved a lot of waiting and down time, which was semi nice because I got to sort of half sleep? But also frustrating because I wanted to move and do stuff. FINALLY, residents started showing up, and the bonding begun.

I ended up coloring most of the time with two of my friends and a few residents. A bunch of the residents didn't speak English, so it was hard to communicate, but it was still interesting. We met a bunch of characters: a little old Russian woman who spoke NO english but was obsessed with our drawings and examined them like a critic, a little old lady who apparently used to be in movies and sing in Hollywood? (She gave us beautiful renditions of Unforgettable and her specialty, When You're Smiling), another old woman who would NOT stop talking and made no sense but was still hilarious, and other various characters. We colored for a while, then had an epic dance party, where the residents stared at us dancing to Jackson 5, NSync, The Temptations, and other various upbeat songs, while smiling and clapping their hands.

I really really didn't want to do this service today because I haven't gotten much sleep, but it actually turned out to be an awesome experience. I felt like we were actually making a difference just by bringing a smile to the residents' faces and engaging in activities with them. A bunch of friends and I are planning on going back and perhaps putting on some kind of show for them. Should be exciting.

Good mood, good day. All is well. I got to do some meaningful service, hang out with my friends and get off campus to walk around the mall, and talk to my sister who I haven't spoken to since before I left. :) AND my car might be coming tonight! Yahoo!

9 comments:

  1. Liz:
    That was a nice thing you and your friends did today. I know all about assisted living places. Hope you get a chance to go back. When do you start to cook?
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your car arrives tonight. I am really enjoying your blog. You are a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first class is tomorrow! I'm not cooking though, I'm working in the storeroom for my first 9 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,
    That was wonderful that you went to the Assisted Living Place. I did that with Alex in Florida and it really meant a lot to the older people there and I loved it.
    Hope your car arrives tonight.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz:
    Hang in 'til your wheels arrive! I'm sure the oldies but goodies appreciated all your good works. What are your duties in the storeroom?
    When will you start cooking up a storm?
    Love,
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz:
    What's happening? We're missing you and news from the front. Are they working you too hard?
    Love,
    Mama B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz:
    I'm glad to hear from you. When you didn't write, I thought they put YOU in the oven. You know, like Hansel and Gretel. I was with a bunch of younger mothers and they were all telling horror stories about their daughters' first college year. Thus, the anxiety.

    I agree with you about some points about the Sunshine State. The humidity is awful. The drivers are a mixed bag. They're either elderly and slow or young and drive like they're on a speedway.

    Re the speed of people's movements, I think due to the heat they conserve energy and just naturally move slower.

    I've never had Jamba Juice, so I'll have to try it. Seems to me I remember a Seinfeld episode about it so maybe it's available in NYC.

    Good luck with your test. I'm sure your S&S experience will help you to ace it.

    Love,
    Mama B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz:
    That's great news. I knew you would WOW Miami.
    Gotta run, I'm making a fenugreek and lotus root sandwich. Keep knocking 'em outta the PAHK (as we beantown beauties say)
    Love,
    Mama B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz:
    Sorry to hear about your adventures with the knife. Be careful. I could say you're such a cutup but that would just be an another awful pun. French mime masquerade sounds beaucoup jolie. It's truly WICKED without you. Keep posting and telling us about the world of fine cuisine.
    Love, Mama B.

    ReplyDelete