Saturday, October 3, 2009

Oh what a beautiful view, if you were never aware of what was around you.

So I've gotten my first culinary school knife cut. :( I was practicing for my practical the other night slicing up carrots, my knife slipped, and then there was blood. Lots of blood. I cut both my middle finger and ring finger at the same time, and it hurt. But it's okay. I feel like a real chef now, and I did pretty well on my practical! My chef is really really tough, but he liked most of my stuff, so I felt good.

I got picked to work on the line in class the other day. That means I worked to prepare the plates for the dining room, like in a real kitchen. It was super crazy, but wicked fun. I realized that I work best under pressure, which is good for a chef, because you're always under pressure. I think I can handle this industry, and it makes me happy. :) I finish this class on Tuesday, then start Meatcutting...should be interesting?

I'm in the Culinary Community, like I said in an earlier post. We go on different trips and have meetings. It's really fun. Yesterday we went to a fruit and spice park about an hour away from here. It was so cool. We got to try all these different strange fruits like strawberry fruit. It tastes like cotton candy! It was really hot but a really cool trip.

I've been having a lot of fun with all my friends. Going to the beach, making food, talking, dancing around the room and meeting lots of people. We went shopping today for Halloween. We're going to be French mimes. It's gonna be awesome and really cool, we're gonna make up a whole mime routine. Anything French is fine by me. (:

I really miss home though. I miss going to the movies with Dad and watching Top Chef and The Office with him. I miss the color changing leaves, the way they crunch under your feet, the brisk cool air, etc. I miss Bostonians! No one says "wicked" down here, only a few people are Red Sox fans, and people make fun of me for saying "jimmies" instead of sprinkles. I love it down here, but know I'll find my way back to New England. It's not the same down here, and I really have grown to appreciate where I've come from, my family, my friends from home, and of course, Marley. It's really not until you've been away from home for a while that you see and realize how much you love and appreciate it. Please continue to send letters and mail, and I'll try to respond. It makes my day when I get mail, because it's like a little piece of home coming to Miami. I love all the support.

Having a cozy girls night tonight, there's not much going on right now, which is weird for a Saturday night. But I don't mind it. It's nice just to relax. I'll update later! A bientot (:

5 comments:

  1. liz i'm not creepin i swear, i love reading your little updates! hope you're having fun in miami and you better be wicked tan when i see you next (:
    <3 emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you, we are so proud of you, and we love you to pieces, Bean. -- xxoo Mom

    I miss going to the movies and Top Chef viewing too, even though it was a repeat this week. Was singing your praises all weekend. Had a great time in South Bend but prefer Miami by a thousandfold. Sending your blog to the family. -- xxoo Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..hope those fingers heal before the meat cutting!!!! Miss you too Liz but next month is Thanksgiving and you will be home. The Red Sox will still be playing!!!!IF THEY'RE LUCKY !!!
    PEGGY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz,
    This is a test. My last three literary masterpieces did not appear on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth,
    Your Dad gave me your blog address. So enjoyed reading your stories. You go girl. Sounds like things are going well.
    Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete