Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go.

So two big updates!

1) I GOT MY CAR! It fiiiiiinally arrived, I was bouncing up and down when it pulled in. It's so nice to have the freedom to drive around now. I really missed my little bug. The only annoying thing is that we got my car cleaned and washed before we shipped it, but it got really dirty on the outside in the shipping process, so I think I'm going to go down the street and get it washed again. There's this really weird car wash that doubles as a restaurant? So my friends and I are going to try it out.

2) I started classes! I'm on a lab schedule right now, which means I have a culinary class from 7-1 for nine days. Each lab is nine days, I take a final, then move onto another one. It's frustrating to have to get up so early, but I'm out of class by 1 unless I have a my stupid freshman seminar class (which is pretty pointless) on Tuesdays or my sanitation class (which I haven't had yet) on Mondays. So I have all my afternoons free pretty much!

My first lab is Purchasing and Production Identification, which is about as boring as it sounds. We basically fill the requisite orders for all the other labs (grocery shop in the storeroom) for two hours, then listen to the chef lecture about can sizes and cost sheets for the rest of the day. He gives us really only one break to go to the bathroom in a total of six hours, and he's pretty strict. So it's not the most enjoyable class ever, but I'm still having fun and enjoying myself.

I had to submit a menu today for a restaurant as part of my final project for the class, where we'll break down our menues and figure out what ingriedients we need and how much they'll cost and what not. I did a Cape Cod themed restaurant idea, with lobster, clam chowder, etc. Stuff I miss from home!

Aside from classes, life is really good. I'm making a lot of really cool friends and working really hard because I'm so passionate about what I'm doing. It feels awesome putting on my chef coat everyday. Miss you all! Feel free to send me stuff if you have my address, I finally figured out how to open my mailbox :)

Beaucoup d'amour! (:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    It's great that you finally got your car.
    Will your classes always start early? Your blog is so interesting. Keep it going!
    Love, Grandma and Pa
    Pa reads it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz:
    Glad the "wheels" finally got there. It will make a big difference for you. Tell us about the restaurant/car wash thing. I have loads of questions, i.e., what was the foam party about, why is the freshman seminar so pointless, do you have any special way you will cook the lobs, etc. etc., I won't overload you or I know I won't get any answers.

    Keep up the good work. We are all so proud of you.

    I went to P. F. Changs for lunch today. Now, if you could just get the recipe for those lettuce wraps....

    I shall close in Spanish.

    Mucho Amore and Huggos
    Mama B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz....I can just picture you flying around Miami in your Bug ......I enjoy your blog and knowing what you're up to. The beginning of your classes sounds like fun so far. What do you wear on your feet? Must get tiring if you have to stand all day.....I'm off to the Cape and will think of you.
    Love
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete