Saturday, March 27, 2010

Je n'trouve plus de sens a ce jeu excitant

So baking class has officially ended, and I got an A! Hurrah! I didn't think I would do that well actually, because like I said before, baking is so not my thing, but I'm happy I did well! I'm so glad to be out of that class. I got so sick of eating bread and cookies and cake all day and not even seeing one vegetable or piece of meat. The best day of that class was pizza day, where we actually got to eat SOME form of real food. It tasted absolutely amazing. I want so badly to be able to make my own dough at home yet it's so tricky. Yeast is a nasty organism to work with. Plus I don't have a proof box and I'm entirely too impatient.

I'm currently in new world cuisine now, which is a complete change from my baking class. My chef is way more energetic and hyper, so it was a little difficult to get used to. I feel back in my element though, seeing that I get to chop, saute, and COOK again! The purpose of the class is to learn about cuisines of the new world (meaning North and South America and Central America) and focus on the techniques of roasting, frying, and grilling. There are three teams and each team uses a different technique each day. I'm a pretty damn good fryer, and our roast chicken was impeccable. We also get to serve a dining room which is awesome. I love being on the line in a kitchen and plating food.

Apart from class, life is going well! I'm working a TON though, so I hardly have any free time. My schedule everyday consists of class from 7-1 then working either from 2-7, 3-8, or 5-close. It's a pretty exhausting day, but I like to keep busy, so it's okay. My job is quite boring (folding ugly, waytooexpensive clothes, placing them on the floor, and watching rude Europeans who assume that I speak their language stampede these ugly clothes and purchase them), but I don't really mind it because the people I work with are really awesome. Also, I helped a customer in French the other day, which made me SO excited. I never really thought I would use my French that much, at least in the United States, but surprisingly there are a lot of French people in Miami (at least there are at Abercrombie and Fitch in Miami).

I come home next week, hurrah! I cannot wait. It'll be nice to leave Miami, even though the weather is absolutely gorgeous right now. I'm trying as hard as I can to get as tan as possible before I go home, so all my friends and family will be jealous. :)

Keep reading and spreading! If you have any suggestions, questions, or comments, PLEASE leave a comment. Your opinion is important to me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm gonna be so jealous of your tan! It's supposed to be 70 in Walpole on Friday though! We must get together, I miss you!! Can't wait to see you & have a good flight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New class sounds great. There's a wonderful restaurant that we go to sometimes in Woodstock, NY (Hudson Valley) called New World Cooking. Menu is great, lots of Cuban influence with ropa viejo, blackened green beans, etc. Where is your teacher from?

    ReplyDelete